Yocheved is the major character birth mother of Moses, Miriam, & Aaron in The Prince of Egypt. She looks like and is voiced by the late Ofra Haza.
Yocheved was a kind and motherly woman. She loved all of her children dearly and proved this when she risked her life to save her youngest child, Moses, from the Pharaoh's soldiers. She was seen crying once she let the basket that held Moses into the river. She passes away, but years later Miriam mentions her when she tells Moses that Yocheved saved his life.
Role in Film
Yocheved is first seen with her two children, Miriam and Aaron while holding Baby Moses. She wraps him up and puts him in the basket. With Aaron and Miriam, she rushes through Egypt and manages to escape to the river. There she blesses her baby for the last time and sets him adrift, crying as she does, then she is brutally slaughtered by pharaoh seti l.a
Years later, when Moses meets Miriam for the first time, Miriam mentions Yocheved (who has passed away) and how she had saved Moses' life.
"Hush now, my baby, be still love, don't cry
Sleep as you're rocked by the stream
Sleep and remember my last lullaby
So I'll be with you when you dream
River, oh river, flow gently for me!
Such precious cargo you bear!
Do you know somewhere he can be free?
River, deliver him there" - River Lullaby
- Ofra Haza did her voice in 18 languages, especially her native Hebrew language, which is always included in every language version.
- Her voice actor did her voice in Brazilian Portuguese, European Portuguese, Czech, Dutch, English, European Spanish, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Italian, Latin American Spanish, Norwegian, Polish, Slovak, and Swedish.
- Ofra Haza recorded "River Lullaby" while singing to a doll to express further emotions.
- The animators for Yocheved were so impressed by Ofra that they modeled Yocheved's look on Ofra's on appearance.
- Her name can also be spelled Jochebed.
- In the biblical story, after Pharaoh's daughter found baby Moses, Miriam revealed herself and asked if they would need a wet nurse to feed the Hebrew baby, thus volunteering her mother for the job, with her nursing him prior to his adoption by Pharaoh's daughter.
- Her husband Amram was the father of her three children. But Amram is also her cousin/nephew marriage between cousins was common for the time period.
- Her father is Levi, one of Joseph's older brothers who sold him into slavery.