|Archives: 2012-2013 / 2014|
If you leave a message for me, I will reply here so that it is easier to follow the conversation instead of bouncing back and forth between two or more pages.
Click on the Leave message button above to start a new subject, or if you are updating an existing subject, click on the "Edit" link next to its header.
How to avoid being blocked
- Each wiki has their own rules beyond the basics that Wikia requires. Those are typically in Category:Policy or Category:Policies, and a few others might be in Category:Help, so searching for those on a wiki is a good start.
- Another one to look for is a block policy. This will list the general subjects and actions that will result in someone being blocked. A good policy will also list how long each infraction will be blocked for and what to do for repeat offenders, so that administrators can be consistent when dealing with problem users. If a wiki doesn't have a block policy, admins will inconsistent about what needs to be blocked, and I've seen some pretty lengthy blocks like a year for minor infractions from a first-time visitor.
- This wiki doesn't have many policies, mostly because I didn't get around to it, but a big one we do have deals with antagonists and protagonists. It was created because of what's described in the "Antagonist fussing" section that happens on so many wikis. I need to put in some examples of how ridiculous antagonist fussing has become.
- I have been thinking about this sort of thing for a while. A lot of wikis have rules about what you don't do. Very few have recommendations on what you should do. Advice on how to be a good editor and what will help the wiki grow. I need to work on a page that lists that kind of thing. So here's some of the things I recommend:
- (already covered above:) When you first come to a wiki, check the policies.
- Find out who the administrators are. They're usually the most experienced members of the wiki and can offer help when you need it.
- If you have a question, ask. It's better to say "I'm not sure how to do this" than to do first and find out it was wrong because sometimes that leads to blocks.
- Work on improving the articles, rather than just add categories or leave article comments. Those last two are easy to do, but most of the time they don't add any substance to the article.
- If someone leaves you a message, answer it, especially if it came from an administrator. A lot of times, I will leave messages that have a strong suggestion or recommendation, but it's really a warning that they're about to be blocked if they don't change their behavior.
- The exception to this is if it's obviously vandalism, trolling, profanity or the like. You can remove the message, but you might want to notify an admin for a permanent deletion.
- Find ways to help in areas that need it. Some wikis will put together projects where a group of people will work specifically on one part of a wiki to improve it, such as just character pages or galleries.
- The Special:SpecialPages page has a section at the top called "Maintenance reports". Those are areas that can be cleaned up. But be careful with the categories. A lot of people don't realize that adding a category to a category means "everything in this category is part of the category I just added". See my Understanding catgories page on Community Central for more information.
- That should get you started. If you have any further questions, let me know. —RRabbit42 (leave a message) 17:19, September 27, 2014 (UTC)
Can you delete Happy Characters on this wiki and tell Woody33 not to re-add Happy Characters on this wiki again, please? Cause character categories with the word "Happy" are not allowed on all wikis. -Robergestudios 02:16, November 21, 2014 (UTC)
- I can delete it because it really doesn't sound like a useful category. However, it's not a rule that a category with that word in it is forbidden. —RRabbit42 (leave a message) 04:31, November 22, 2014 (UTC)
Re: automated greeting
Thank you so very much!!! -Pinkbloom21 08:47, December 28, 2014 (UTC)
Can I make the portuguese voice actores who colaborate with dreamwork Portugal?