Trolls is a 2016 American 3D computer-animated romantic musical fantasy comedy film based on the Troll dollscreated by Thomas Dam. The film was directed by Mike Mitchell and co-directed by Walt Dohrn, written by Jonathan Aibel and Glenn Berger and based on a story by Erica Rivinoja. The film features the voices of Anna Kendrick, Justin Timberlake, Zooey Deschanel, Russell Brand, James Corden and Gwen Stefani. The film revolves around two trolls on a quest to save their village from destruction by the Bergens, creatures who eat trolls.
The 33rd animated feature film produced by DreamWorks Animation, the film premiered on October 8, 2016, at the BFI London Film Festival and was theatrically released in the United States on November 4, 2016, by 20th Century Fox. The film received generally positive reviews from critics, was a box office success, grossing $344 million worldwide against its $125 million budget, and received an Academy Award nomination for Best Original Song for "Can't Stop the Feeling!".
A sequel, titled Trolls 2, is scheduled to be released on April 10, 2020. Kendrick and Timberlake will reprise their roles as Poppy and Branch respectively.
The Trolls are small creatures who live in an almost perpetual state of happiness, singing, dancing and hugging all day long. However, they are discovered by the Bergens, large creatures who never feel happy, but discover that they can feel happy for a moment, if they devour a Troll. The Bergens put the Trolls and their tree in a cage, and hold an annual festival, called Trollstice, in which each Bergen gets its feeling of happiness, by eating a Troll.
However, the Trolls, led by their King Peppy, escape through underground tunnels on the day that Bergen Prince Gristle Jr. would eat his first Troll. The furious Bergen King Gristle Sr. banishes his Chef who was in charge of the Trollstice preparation.
20 years later, King Peppy's daughter, the extremely happy and optimistic troll Princess Poppy, throws a big party to celebrate the Trolls' escape, despite the fears and warnings of the grey troll, Branch who has a secret crush on Poppy , that loud parties will attract the Bergens.
Branch's fears become true when Chef sees the fireworks and captures a number of Trolls. Poppy is among the Trolls who manage to hide, but discovers that none of the other Trolls dare to venture to Bergen Town to rescue their friends. She initially goes by herself, but is later accompanied by the reluctant Branch, who thinks she will not make it if she goes alone.
At Bergen Town, Poppy and Branch find out that Bergen Town will be holding Trollstice that night and witness Creek, one of the Troll hostages, apparently get eaten by the now King Gristle Jr., but Poppy remains hopeful that Creek survived. Poppy and Branch discover that the rest of the Troll captives are being guarded by a scullery maid named Bridget.
While attempting to free the Trolls, they discover that Bridget is in love with Gristle Jr., and strike a deal with her: If she frees their friends and lets them get close to Gristle Jr. to confirm if Creek is alive, they will help her get a date with Gristle Jr.
While setting her up for the date, Branch refuses to sing and triggers a big argument with Poppy, revealing that, as a child, he caused his grandmother to be killed after Chef found him because of his singing, and blamed himself since, causing his color to turn from blue to grey. After Poppy comforts him, Branch reluctantly agrees to help Bridget and the trolls on the condition that he still won't have to sing.
Bridget, disguised as Lady Glitter Sparkles by the Trolls, gets her date with Gristle Jr. at a roller rink and arcade restaurant, and Gristle Jr. asks her to be his "plus one" at Trollstice, revealing Creek being held captive in the jewel that decorates the king's mantle.
When they get back to Bridget's room, Bridget asks them if they can help her disguise as Lady Glitter Sparkles at Trollstice, but they refuse because they can no longer help her, causing Bridget to cry. Poppy tries to tell Bridget, but Bridget tells her and her friends to leave. The Trolls leave and attempt to rescue Creek from Gristle Jr. room's and steals his jewel, but discover that it is empty.
The Trolls are then captured by Chef and are shocked to discover that Creek had agreed to sell out the rest of the Trolls to the Bergens in exchange for not being swallowed himself. Creek returns to the Troll village where using Poppy's cowbell, he lures the other Trolls out of hiding, letting them be captured by Chef and the other Bergen cooks, who lie in ambush. With all the Trolls captured and soon to be eaten, Poppy loses hope as she and all the other Trolls turn grey.
Branch, despite his typical grumbling, sings for Poppy to cheer her up, and (through the song) confesses his love for her, much to Poppy's surprise and together they restore the colors of all of the Trolls, including Branch himself.
Just before being served, the Trolls are rescued by Bridget who wants them to flee while she is ready to sacrifice herself for them. However, Poppy does not want to abandon her Bergen friend. Together with the other Trolls, Poppy reveals to the Bergens that Bridget was Lady Glitter Sparkles, and that, for being happy, it is not necessary to eat Trolls as the feeling, that Bridget and Gristle Jr. had on their date was happiness too. The Trolls invite the Bergen to sing and dance with them, making them feel happy.
Chef, refusing to accept the peace, tries to kill Poppy and Branch, but is knocked into a serving cart that is sent rolling out of Bergen Town with Creek in her pouch. The Trolls and Bergens agree to live in peace, and Poppy is crowned as the Queen of the Trolls. And at the new troll tree, Poppy and Branch share a romantic hug.
In the mid-credits scene, the serving cart with Chef and Creek on it stops on a hill in the middle of nowhere. Chef tries to eat Creek, but the hill opens to reveal a mouth and the pair fall into it.
- This movie is based on the popular troll dolls. It was also seen in Pixar's franchise Toy Story.
- This is the second time the Troll franchise has been animated. The first was DiC Entertainment's Trollz.
- This is the second DreamWorks Animation movie to star Justin Timberlake, the first being Shrek the Third.
- The fourth DreamWorks Animation film to have a female protagonist, after Chicken Run, Monsters vs. Aliens, and The Croods.
- The third DreamWorks Animation's musical film, following The Prince of Egypt and The Road to El Dorado. In fact, it is the first DreamWorks Animation musical in 20 years.
- Ironically, the film fast forwards 20 years and the last DreamWorks musical was produced 20 years ago. This was probably intended as an Easter Egg.
- This is the first DreamWorks Animation film to be released on 4K Ultra HD.
- Due to a few cartoon sound effects being used in a few parts, this is the first DreamWorks Animation film to use the banana peel slip sound effect originally from various Hanna-Barbera cartoons (which is only used once at the very beginning of the film). Ironically, that sound effect was previously used in some episodes of The Penguins of Madagascar TV series on Nickelodeon.
- This film marks Christophe Beck's first scoring debut in a DreamWorks Animation film and also his third feature-length animated score after Disney's Frozen and Blue Sky Studios' The Peanuts Movie.
- The seventh DreamWorks Animation film to not feature any humans, after Antz, Shark Tale, Flushed Away and the Kung Fu Panda trilogy (soon to become a "hexogy").
- In the film, Harper's hair is cut short. In coloring books, children's books, and other merchandise, her hair is very long.
- When Poppy sings on a flower, the sparkles on her cheeks disappear. When she falls the sparkles appear again.
- When King Peppy is on the bunker, he is seen wearing clothes. Then, when he and the other Trolls wave goodbye to Poppy, he is in his underwear.
- As Poppy and Branch are arguing in his bunker, the switch for the elevator is missing. Then, it appears.
- When the Bergens dig to find the Trolls, King Gristle Sr.'s crown disappears, then it appears when he banishes Chef from BergenTown.
- When the Trolls escape, King Peppy is naked, then his clothes appear when he marks the torch as their new village.
- When Gristle and Bridget are holding hands she's wearing roller skates. When the cast is singing, Bridget's is wearing her normal shoes.
- When King Gristle Sr. banishes Chef his shirt is open, but when he tells Prince Gristle nothing will make him happy without the Trolls, his shirt is buttoned.
- When Chef is forcing King Gristle to eat Branch, Gristle's crown disappears, then it appears when the Trolls sing,
- When Poppy and Branch meet Cloud Guy, Branch doesn't trust him because he wears socks without shoes. How could he know what shoes are important when the Trolls don't wear shoes or socks themselves?
- When Branch chases Cloud Guy into the tunnel, (it turns out to be the correct one that leads to the Troll Tree) He forgets his bag, which he took off near the entrance. You don't see the bag at all in the film after that.
- When Poppy is crowned queen, Branch is dancing in the back with the rest of the Snack Pack, but the moment AFTER she's crowned queen he's not there anymore. Then when he walks up to Poppy and takes her hands you see him again.
- Anna Kendrick as Poppy
- Justin Timberlake as Branch
- Gwen Stefani as DJ Suki
- James Corden as Biggie
- Russell Brand as Creek
- Aino Jawo as Satin
- Caroline Hjelt as Chenille
- Ron Funches as Cooper
- Kunal Nayyar as Guy Diamond
- GloZell as Grandma Rosiepuff
- Meg Deangelis as Moxie Dewdrop
- Ricky Dillon as Aspen
- Kandee Johnson as Mandy Sparkledust
- Christine Baranski as Chef
- John Cleese as King Gristle Sr.
- Christopher Mintz-Plasse as Prince/King Gristle
- Zooey Deschanel as Bridget
- Walt Dohrn as Smidge / Fuzzbert / Cloud Guy / Mr. Dinkles / Tunnel Troll / Wedgie Bergen #2
- Mike Mitchell as Darius/Vinny the Phone/Captain Starfunkle/Spider/Wedgie Bergen #1/Chad/Card
- Curtis Stone as Todd
- Rhys Darby as Bibbly
- Jeffrey Tambor as King Peppy
- Quvenzhané Wallis as Harper
On June 23, 2010, DreamWorks Animation announced plans to create a film based on the toys, under the direction of Tim Hill. The brother–sister writing team of Adam Wilson and Melanie Wilson LaBracio were set to write the screenplay, and Dannie Festa of Festa Entertainment to executive produce. In June 2012, it was reported that Chloë Grace Moretz will voice the female lead, while the role of the male lead, Masklin, had been offered to Jason Schwartzman. In September 2012, 20th Century Fox and DreamWorks Animation announced that the film with the working title Trolls would be released on June 5, 2015, with Anand Tucker set to direct the film, written by Wallace Wollodarsky and Maya Forbes. Moretz and Schwartzman have also been confirmed to lend their voices. Peter Ramsey, the director of Rise of the Guardians, said that Trolls would be partially based on a Terry Pratchett novel.
By April 2013, DreamWorks Animation had acquired the intellectual property for the Trolls franchise from the Dam Family and Dam Things. Having DreamWorks Animation became the exclusive worldwide licensor of the merchandise rights, except for Scandinavia, where Dam Things remains the licensor. In May 2013, the film was pushed back for a year to November 4, 2016. The same month, DreamWorks Animation announced that Mike Mitchell and Erica Rivinoja have been hired as a director and screenplay writer to "reimagine" the film as a musical comedy, which will present the origin of the Trolls' colorful hair. On June 16, 2014, Anna Kendrick joined the cast to voice Poppy, a princess. On September 15, 2015, Deadline.com reported that Justin Timberlake will voice a character named Branch. The full cast announced their respective roles via announcements on Twitter on January 6, 2016. On January 28, 2016, a teaser trailer was released on YouTube. On June 29, 2016, the film's first trailer was released online.
Timberlake serves as an executive producer for the film's music (no surprise there), and released the original song "Can't Stop the Feeling!" on May 6, 2016. The song reached No. 1 in 14 countries, including the United States and Canada. He has also confirmed that Ariana Grande and Gwen Stefani will contribute to the soundtrack.
- ↑ Hair we go! Meet Poppy! - Twitter - January 5, 2016
- ↑ Hair we go...I'm officially a #Troll. - Twitter - January 5, 2016
- ↑ Hair we go! Meet DJ Suki! - Twitter - January 5, 2016
- ↑ Hair we go! Meet Biggie! - Twitter - January 5, 2016
- ↑ Hair we go! Meet Creek! - Twitter - January 5, 2016
- ↑ Hair we go! Meet Satin! - Twitter - January 5, 2016
- ↑ Hair we go! Meet Chenille! - Twitter - January 5, 2016
- ↑ Remember Trolls?! They're back! In Ron form. - Twitter - January 5, 2016
- ↑ Hair we go! Meet Guy Diamond! - Twitter - January 5, 2016
- ↑ HAIR we Go! Meet Grandma Rosiepuff! - Facebook - January 5, 2016
- ↑ Hair we go! Meet Aspen! - Tumblr - April 13, 2016
- ↑ Hair we go! Meet Mandy Sparkledust! - Instagram - April 13, 2016
If there's a transcript click here.