|Directed by:||Gary Trousdale|
|Written by:||Michael Lachance|
|Release date:||October 7, 2005|
|Running time:||12 minutes|
The Madagascar Penguins in a Christmas Caper is a computer-animated short produced by DreamWorks Animation (with soundtrack by Media Ventures' young-gun James Dooley), released in movie theatres and on DVD in 2005. The 12-minute film showcases the adventures of four penguins, sometimes known as The Madagascar Penguins, who live in the Central Park Zooand are trained as spies. It premiered in theaters on October 7, 2005 with the stop-motion film, Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit. The short was later included on the later editions of the Madagascar DVD and the ShrekDVD, both of which were released on November 15, 2005. The short was directed by animation veteran Gary Trousdale, produced by Teresa Cheng, and written by Michael Lachance.
In the story, Private, the youngest penguin on the team, discovers the sorrow of Ted the Polar Bear and sets out of the zoo to find a present for him. While roaming the streets of Manhattan, he is captured by Nana (the mean old lady from the first film), who mistakes him for a chew toy for her vicious pet dog, Mr. Chew. Meanwhile, the other three penguins, Skipper, Kowalski, and Rico, discover Private's absence and set out to rescue him.
They have an intense fight against Mr. Chew which goes entirely unnoticed by Nana, who is busy watching a football game. When they are done, Skipper lets Rico blow up the door with dynamite, which is a running gag in the film, finally attracting Nana's attention and blames Mr. Chew for making the mess.
At the end of the film they invite Ted to their home. But he had already invited several other guests, resulting in a massive sing-a-long to a parody of Jingle Bells.
Skipper: Tom McGrath
Kowalski: Chris Miller
Private: Christopher Knights
Rico: John DiMaggio
Old Lady: Elisa Gabrielli
Ted the Polar Bear: Bill Fagerbakke
Doorman/TV Announcer: Sean Bishop
- Rico is constantly regurgitating a piece of dynamite out of his stomach and asking Skipper's permission to use it three times. Finally, at the end, Skipper lets him use it.
- Nobody except Skipper knows the "credo" - "never swim alone." – The other penguins also confuse the Walrus credo ("Ha-da-da, ha-da-da doo-da dee-da!") with the other Penguin credo - "never bathe in hot oil and Bisquick."
- In an attempt to get a better view of Private while on the streets of New York, Skipper, Rico and Kowalski try to blend in with passing Catholic nuns, possibly resembling the blending technique from Assassin's Creed by Ubisoft.
- When trying to catch up with Private, the penguins attach a grappling hook to a taxi. The license plate of the taxi reads: "I8BIGAPEL," i.e. I ate big apple (New York).
- During the battle, Skipper uses Rico as a machine gun for cover fire, using swallowed mints as bullets.
- In a reference to the first film, Skipper makes several references to curse words: i.e. "Hoover Dam," "Grand Coulee Dam," "Shiitake mushrooms," "Holy Butterball."
- When the Private flies across the room and smashes into the kitchen, the sports announcer on TV yells "What a hit! Ryan is down!", an allusion to Saving Private Ryan.
- When Skipper tells Rico that the old lady "didn't see anything", he makes a hand-motion similar to the Jedi mind trick.
- When penguins stop following the nuns and roll over they very closely assemble most widely reproduced publicity images from Charlie's Angels.
|Antz • The Prince of Egypt • The Road to El Dorado • Chicken Run • Shrek • Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron • Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas • Shrek 2 • Shark Tale • Madagascar • Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit • Over the Hedge • Flushed Away • Shrek the Third • Bee Movie • Kung Fu Panda • Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa • Monsters vs. Aliens • How to Train Your Dragon • Shrek Forever After • Megamind • Kung Fu Panda 2 • Puss in Boots • Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted • Rise of the Guardians • The Croods|
|Joseph: King of Dreams • Operation: DVD Premiere!|
|Turbo • Me & My Shadow • Mr. Peabody & Sherman • How to Train Your Dragon 2 • Happy Smekday! • The Penguins of Madagascar • Trolls • B.O.O.: Bureau of Otherworldly Operations • Mumbai Musical • Kung Fu Panda 3 • How to Train Your Dragon 3|
|Shrek in the Swamp Karaoke Dance Party! • Shrek 4-D • Sinbad and the Cyclops Island • Far Far Away Idol • Club Oscar • The Madagascar Penguins in a Christmas Caper • First Flight • Hammy's Boomerang Adventure• Secrets of the Furious Five • B.O.B.'s Big Break • Legend of the Boneknapper Dragon • Donkey's Caroling Christmas-tacular • Megamind: The Button of Doom • Thriller Night • The Pig Who Cried Werewolf • Book of Dragons • Gift of the Night Fury • Secrets of the Masters • Puss in Boots: The Three Diablos|
|Toonsylvania • Invasion America • Alienators: Evolution Continues • Father of the Pride • The Penguins of Madagascar • Kung Fu Panda: Legends of Awesomeness • Monsters vs. Aliens: The Series|
|Shrek the Halls • Monsters vs. Aliens: Mutant Pumpkins from Outer Space • Merry Madagascar • Scared Shrekless • Kung Fu Panda Holiday • Madly Madagascar|