Cameos, in-jokes, re-used animation and other trivia for Shrek.
- Chris Farley was originally cast as Shrek and even recorded the dialogue. However, after his death, the role was given to fellow Saturday Night Live performer, Mike Myers. A remnant of Farley remains when Shrek uses "finger quotes" - a trademark of Farley's character Bennett Brower.
- Donkey was modeled after Pericles (aka Perry), a real life miniature donkey who lives in Barron Park, Palo Alto, California. The people from Pacific Data Images/DreamWorks did an online search for a donkey to study, and found one right in their neighborhood.
- Mike Myers actually read opposite his wife Robin Ruzan when recording his lines for the climactic love scene at the end of the movie.
- There are 36 unique locations in Shrek - more than any other computer-animated film at the time.
- Computer animation production started on the project on 31 October 1996 and took more than four and a half years to complete.
- The principal actors never met each other. All read their parts separately, with a reader feeding them the lines.