General Mandible is the manipulative and deluded supreme commander of the ant military, and the main antagonist of Antz. He was allowed by the Queen Ant to make the decisions of the colony. He is voiced by Gene Hackman.
He is the leader of the soldier ants who envisions a colony as being inhabited by the "strong elements", and seeks to fulfill the vision by sending the soldiers on a suicide mission and having the workers dig a tunnel to their own deaths. He also wishes to marry Princess Bala and make her his queen as well as the mother of thousands of larval children, but she ultimately calls off the wedding and rejects him, having become suspicious of his plans. He is killed by falling to his death on a root at the near-end of the film.
Mandible is a nasty dictator of the ant colony. He even tricked them into going into war. He has strong feelings/lust for Bala but Bala doesn't like him. Mandible later interrogates Weaver into wanting to know where Z is located. He is described as crazy by Bala later on in the film.
- General Mandible is somewhat similar to Hopper from A Bug's Life, another computer-animated film about ants that both came out in 1998. Both are brutal insect leaders who took advantage of other insects.
- General Mandible has many other similarities to Judge Claude Frollo from Disney's The Hunchback of Notre Dame:
- Both have a genocidal hatred for a group that they deed vermin--Frollo against the Gypsies and Mandible against worker ants.
- Both face off against the main protagonist who is from the group they marginalized: Quasimodo, who had Gypsy heritage and Z, who was born a worker ant.
- Both lust over the female lead--Mandible towards Princess Bala and Frollo towards Esmerelda.
- Both have a second in command who served them until questioning their immortal orders before turning against them.
- They both fell for their deaths, and the manner in which they perished is similar in that they make an ironic statement that leads to their deaths.
- General Mandible is also similar to Adolf Hitler due to a desire to commit genocide in the name of a perfect "society" run by a superior kind of individual (for Hitler the Ubermensch, for Mandible the Soldier Ant).
- General Mandible is considered to be one of DreamWorks' most evil villains (along with Lord Shen, Rumplestiltskin, Mrs. Tweedy, and Drago Bludvist).